An Octagonal B/W cup bowl

Started by heavenguy, Apr 30, 2024, 22:53:23

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hi, I don't know if you guys can point me on the right direction on this one. I having a hard time on this cup bowl. I don't know if it is Chinese or Japanese. It is hand painted. The mark is unknown to me. Feels and looks old. The foot rim is smooth and well polished and it has some Iron oxide leaking from the glaze. Also a spot on the top. The white is very white with a touch of cream. Any help will be of much appreciation. 

heavenguy

more pics

peterp

You are looking too far ...
All lines in the decoration look as if they were made by transfer printing. 

heavenguy

they are not believe me. It is really hand painted took some pictures but bubbles are way too dense for it to show it properly. but I guess you are right, nothing major with this.

peterp

I see lines with intermittent breaks that are mostly about the same in width and density, unlike brush strokes.
Transfer printing is just a decoration method that makes less or no use of brushes. Here the lines may be transfer, while the filling colors may be brush painted. To me it looks that way...

As to the bubbles, they are not related to the decoration method, they are inside to the glaze which is applied after the decoration; any glaze has them. The only one could say is that in the 20th century the bubbles were mostly smaller and more uniform in size.  Bubbles develop because of water in the glaze, which evaporates when the glaze is liquid. They remain in the glaze. 
What I'm saying is that the underglaze blue decoration is underneath the glaze while the bubbles are in the glaze itself that is applied on top of it. They are most visible over the blue background, but are really present everywhere, just less visible over a white background.
The size size and configuration can be different according to the type of ware or kiln, but I think current research is not yet there, where they can tell how old an item exactly is.