A Vase of Yuan Dynasty

Started by john8888, May 03, 2024, 01:26:00

Previous topic - Next topic

john8888

This is a interesting vase of Yuan dynasty that show emperor's gift to Defense Secretary. However I found two letters are wrong words. Beside this is fake ceramic, there is no good explanation. 

peterp

Hi John,
At your stage you should not buy Chinese antiques with writing on them that are earlier than the 19th century. You want to replace long-term experience with information written on such items, but those are mostly fakes.
I'm afraid this one is too. Those who have knowledge of Yuan blue/white wares know this cannot be authentic. Only a handful were ever marked, or are extant, the only ones I know of is a pair of vases that are located in the British museum: 
https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E5%A4%A7%E7%BB%B4%E5%BE%B7%E8%8A%B1%E7%93%B6
Yuan BW wares of this size are few and mostly located in museums of Turkey and Persia. Those of large size  in China today may number less than a thousand, and these vases in Britain are about the only ones with writing. You may find bowls or small jarlets in East and SE Asia, though.
Large items which are almost all fakes are probably in the tens if not hundreds or thousands on the market, so we have little chance to ever encounter one.