Fukagawa Cups for Stan

Started by Kaaren B., Apr 25, 2024, 07:45:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

Stan, here are images of the one of the set of five small Fukagawa cups I received free at the yard sale where I also got the Matsue vase. The woman gave them to me because, she said, no one would want them without their handles. They show the usual delicacy and finish Fukugawa is famous for.

I don't know what I'm going to do with them. But, one of my few rules in collecting both Asian and European porcelain/ceramics, is that there are certain things you never leave on the table if the price is right: Fukagawa, real Satsuma, 19th century famille rose, and from Europe: Shelley, Paragon, R&S Prussia, KPM, and Edge Malkin.  Kaaren

Stan

Thanks Kaaren for the additional photo's, the fukagawa mark shown is one that was used from the Meiji period and to the present, Im sure your bowls probably had basket weave handles, which could easily be replaced, some times it is hard to tell the old from the new fukagawa, My guess is early Taisho period. You must have a nice collection of porcelain, I to like the European Porcelain, but mostly Chinese and Japanese, thanks again for sharing.
                                                                                                                         Stan.

Kaaren B.

My pleasure, Stan. I believe the pattern on the cups is one of the more modern ones, I've seen it frequently on Ebay and Etsy. The vase I have is very modern/abstract, pale blue swirls on the blue background. I'm sure you're familiar with it. Finding the older stuff with the Koransha mark is more of a challenge, especially on my budget.

Kaaren