Qianlong marked Blue and White vase

Started by heavenguy, Apr 23, 2024, 21:23:38

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

I wish to know your opinion on this. It came from the same lot I acquire. researching the mark is basically a Frankenstein of all the variations of the Qianlong mark from the period but I have my doubts. It is really well made but never seen something similar around. The dragon its really hard to tell and what really bothers me its those dots inside the scales. I remember you mention one time that dots inside scale were very popular on the Guangxu or republic. 

heavenguy

it is small, around 6 inches tall. very translucent  and kind of thinly potted.  thank you for your time

peterp

Nice vase, but probably not of the period, I'm afraid. First I need to clarify that I never saw such a decoration.
The mark looks good, but there are problems that would need clarification. The dragon roundel is the main decoration and shows the dragon frontal, right for the period. But the five claws would mean it would have to be imperial. as five claws would not have been allowed for a private kiln in that period.
Additionally, the tip of the tail is rounded and the scales seem to have been applied by transfer rather than hand-painting them individually. These signs make it more likely to be from the late Qing dynasty at least, I'm afraid.

heavenguy

Yeah, I actually skip this vase at a the estate sale because at first I thought it was a modern piece, but it wasn't until I inspected closely it convince me to take it home. 

I also thought it was transfer ware at first but until I saw it under a magnifying glass it changed my mind. 

There is 3 roundel dragons around the vase. I took pictures of all of them and use photoshop to try and align them and they are all different. They have different brush strokes positions of clouds, etc..  I learned from you guys that I need to do a heavy inspection and question everything. I also recoded a cool video if you guys want to see and that is one of the dragon roundels under a 40X magnifying glass.

The link to the video is this: https://youtu.be/f4iNCld8Bzw

I recorded it with the best looking dragon that I think is the first one. IMO they use different shading techniques to give a sense of "depth" on the scales. The dots and lines have the strongest hue of blue while the body construction and some lines have a medium blue color. The body background has a soft blue, or so I think.

Still doing research on this because like you said I never seen something like this before either. So I'm going to treat it like a 20th century piece. Still a niece piece I think.

heavenguy

some more pics that you can see for reference if you watch the video.

peterp

Just that there is no misunderstanding regarding the transfer, I didn't mean the whole thing but only the scales. But you are right, when enlarged it looks different.

One question: not sure if it is the lighting, or if the glaze of the vase itself has a light celadon glaze and the background of the dragon is more white, as it seems in one of the pictures?  

heavenguy

Hi, I think it's the lightning. I took those pictures inside at night and there was a celadon vase near the lamp and it probably gave a small green hue to the vase. The whole vase glaze has a small hint of blue hue, it is not a strong white color. The body is really translucent and thinly potted. I don't know, whatever day this vase was made I think it a nice made vase. Glad it is part of my collection. thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

peterp

Thanks. Please take good care of it.