Chenghua mark

Started by calder, Mar 16, 2014, 07:52:27

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Hi.... honestly this is the last one.
I have been doing my own homework on this one.
Hold you breath.
Beautifully hand painted but obviously not of that dynasty.
So why paint the phoenixes accurately? then produce  a week character mark.
So what era would this likely to be from?
Once again many thanks.

calder

HI

peterp

I'm afraid I cannot help with the age of this as this seems to be a Japanese item. Maybe Stan or someone else can help?

Please be aware that many Japanese items have the Chenghua mark. I do not know if the use of the latter was limited to a certain period. Generally said, I see more Chenghua marks on Japanese items than on Chinese ones, especially blue and white porcelain.

calder

Incredible thank you again for your knowledge.
Many thanks Alan

Stan

I was told that the reason the Japanese marked with Chinese Characters was for export to China and the mark suggested that the piece was of the same quality as the mark, This is a very nice plate, I have never seen one with a scalloped edge like this, I have some Japanese plates that have the same shape without the scollops and they are early Edo period,  the ones I have are signed on the bottom and all of them are uneven from when they were fired, they were made for domestic use and not export, on your plate dose it look even or uneven, The later japanese porcelain plates were perfect with no unevenness to it , however yours looks old.

Stan

the first picture I sent shows the evenness  and this is the front.

calder

Thanks Stan  the plate is flat  and true .
Much appreciated.
Thanks Alan