Late 19th century export Satsuma?

Started by Kaaren B., Aug 16, 2023, 02:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

Good day. I am new to this forum and new-ish to Asian ceramics. I hope to get some input on this bowl, which I got at under $10 at a local thrift shop (just to say no need to spare my feelings!). When I picked it off the shelf, an Asian woman who had just entered the shop behind me murmured, "That very old.". I have seen a good deal of this online, but this one seemed to have more delicate and detailed painting, with very soft luminous colors. The crackle glaze is so fine that I was unable to capture it, it is best seen on the open spaces on the panel with just two women on it. It is unmarked (as far as I can tell). It is definitely earthenware, not porcelain, and the cobalt glaze is thick, and the gilt shows wear as may be seen. I am wondering if this is an example of Satsuma export in the late 19th century, after gosu blue was shifted to the newer thick cobalt glaze, as opposed to much later export of this kind that is less detailed, or simply a decent example of the latter. I have tried to show as much as possible. Many thanks for any help with this. Kaaren B.

Stan

Hi Kaaren, I believe this is a censer that is missing the top, I would need a picture of the top to confirm this and the size of the censer, I think this is from the 1st Quarter of the 20th century, and as far as Gosu Blue, it is the wrong color blue, Gosu blue was made from Colbalt and thickened with a tea that helped thicken the paint, but the tea gave it a very distinct blue color, the tea was also used for black and green colors , the lid would have been reticulated for incense, very nice.

Kaaren B.

Thanks to Stan and Peter again for their replies. I do have a photo of the top, but do not see a button for adding a photo to a new topic? Kaaren