Help

Started by rgomes10, Mar 04, 2023, 03:35:42

Previous topic - Next topic

rgomes10

Hello!
I would like some help to know if it is a fake, replica or true porcelain, please.
Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Regina

peterp

Hi Regina,

This type is difficult to reliably evaluate via pictures. I have seen images of this item type several times, not sure if it is in the National Palace Museum or not. In a book with imperial wares I have there is a similar one, similar floral decoration, but the background is all yellow, including the bottom. There is a Qing, Jiaqing zhuanshu mark, which would correspond to that being imperial ware. The text inside seems to be the same, although with the book I could only read the beginning and end of it, as the writing is too small. The point is the last two characters, just above the seals. In both items they say 御製, which means it was made for, or by order of, the emperor. In other words it would be imperial ware, although yours has a Qing, Daoguang mark.

As to the workmanship and other details, you would have to consult someone near you who can do a a hands-on inspection.

Personally, I would advise to reconsider if you did not yet buy it. The possibility of it being authentic is not great I would think -- it does not seem very likely that the son (Daoguang) would have made an almost exact replica of his father's (Jiaqing) item.

peterp

Do an image search for this:
清 嘉慶 洋彩御製詩文海棠式綠地茶盤

and you should see a green one in the NPM, Taipei (the imperial collection), and also an identical one made probably in the same batch, which was at auction. It is unlikely to find something like this in the open market.
This tea tray appears to have been made together with a tea pot of the same pattern.

Note the difference of those and yours in painting quality, how the mark is properly positioned, etc.  :)

Just found this picture taken during a visit to the National Palace Museum in Taipei (imperial) .