Qing teapot with foreigner decoration, export? with Mark

Started by smak, Dec 23, 2022, 14:29:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Here are the photo's for the 3rd teapot.

Stan

Here are the photo's for the 4th teapot.

Stan

I do have other teapots that I will post at a later date, thanks for the discussion.

peterp

Thanks for the pictures Adriano and Stan.
First I need to mention that most teapots I know were not specifically made for export. Sometimes export wares have features not present in domestic porcelain, or which were later copied from such.
Notable is that the handle and spout shapes of Stan's 2nd and 3rd teapots are not a traditional Chinese spout shape. The spout is straight and the handles intertwined, something that is not common in Chinese domestic use wares.
What this means is that the features were probably based on demands from overseas. Especially Stan's 2nd pot shows a strainer shape, but this one was clearly handmade, like that of Adriano's pot shown below.
The other pot of Adriano has strainer shape holes that look as if the were made with a single tool, similar to Yixing wares.
Unfortunately, considering this with the overall condition, I have started to doubt the late 19th century age of that pot. I did not note that strainer shape in the original post. I will add a remark there.
I'm always learning, and that there are more than three spout holes on older tea pots is news for me. However, I'm not quite ready yet to discard the view that those strainer holes made with a special tool are of the same period. I will change my view if I see more like this. I was basically taught that there was only one hole until the Guangxu reign, but later discovered there may be up to three. Now I agree that there were even more. Thanks anyway for this news.

Stan

Thank you Peter, You are the one that told me about the holes many years ago, that is the only reason I bought it up, thanks for all your expertise.

peterp

Nothing is 100% in the world of Chinese ceramics. We always need to be ready to modify what we know. A mentor told us about the one hole rule many years ago, but afterwards I discovered some with three holes. Now there can be more, although the majority might still be one.  :)

That is why we need always to look at multiple features. If possible I look at five, some say it should be seven, but with pictures it is often not possible.
Additionally, features like decoration styles, etc. care not usable on monochrome porcelain. This also limits the number of factors that can be considered.