Korean or Ming

Started by Stan, Aug 12, 2014, 01:43:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I just acquired this jar, it is 15.875 cm tall and it is stone ware I think, it is made in two pieces, you can see the seam in the middle, the crackle was made that way it is the same inside, I do not know if it is Ming or Korean, I know that Korea was a part of China during the Ming reign, I think, could you tell me what is on the jar there is a character, on both sides they are the same, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's.

Stan

Last set of photo's, thanks for again,

peterp

Might well be Korean, Stan. At least, the impression the shape gives me is similar as those Korean items I have seen until now. That is a decoration, not a character, on the outside.

BTW, Korea was a vassal state of the Yuan empire. It became independent afterwards and the same dynasty ruled until the 19th century, as far as I know. Chinese writing was used until the 19th century, but probably only by the government.

Stan

Have you ever seen one with a crackle like this, I do not recall seeing one, as you said the shape looks Korean but the ones I seen have a tapered top, it tappers from the bulbous part of the jar and tapers out, not like this one that seems to be the opposite.

peterp

The manufacturing method and shape is not Chinese, neither does it look Japanese to me. What is left is mainly Vietnamese or Thai. Ball-shaped vase bodies are always suspect of not being Chinese.
Yes, I have seen such crackling, but this type of base is unknown to me. Did you note that in picture four, from the bottom, there seems to be a spiral line around the circumference?

BTW, I'm sure part of the darkness of the glaze and crackles is caused by age-old dirt. These items were not made that brown color. It might have been blue and white, originally.
Looks like a storage jar to me. The piece adhering at the side points to other pots being fired in close proximity. 

Stan

Thank you for your insight Peter.

Qst42know

This looks much like a kimchi pot. For fermenting vegetables.

An image search "kimchi pot" shows many sizes roughly the same shape and color.

Qst42know

Just a guess, mind you.

Stan

Thanks Qst42know, I will search under kimchi pot, but don't they usually use a large pot for kimchi?

Qst42know

Your welcome Stan I hope the little I contribute can do some good.
Once you look, some are barrel size others could sit on a window shelf.
Other spellings could turn up more examples.