Coffee Cup

Started by kardinalisimo, Aug 09, 2014, 12:36:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

They are still producing items like these today, here is an example, I think that this one even though new is decorated better than all the earlier ones. BTW you can buy this from China under $200.00 but it is not Antique so be careful not to buy under false pretense, What I am seeing a lot of is these items being sold here and then resold as antique.

kardinalisimo

Stan, is it sure that the plate from the book is circa 1750?
To me it looks like the leaves are too outlined. Like, I know black can be used to draw the veins and for some of the outside contours with should not the lines be broken down and not that perfect? Also, the green washes, for early Qing, if not wrong, sometimes they don't fill everything inside the outlines and other time go a bit outside of them. Just likena wash, not a perfect fillup.  But again, I can't see good from the pictures.

Stan

This book was printed in 1986, the first addition and is still considered one of the best books on Chinese Export Porcelain, I hardly think that it is not what they say, everything is this book was authenticated by scholars and museum curators, I know that even museums are fooled but this book took 6 years to make and all items were authenticated by the experts of the time.

shelley Kong

Hi Peter and Kardinalisimo,
I've also noticed that on some porcelain, the green is sometimes outside the outlines. Why? and is this a sign of authentic Qing painting on porcelain?

peterp

I think this is just a matter of quality. The higher the overall quality of an item, the less likely it is that filler colors overspill. If there is a filling color, it will be very carefully painted. But, with some items it looks as if the painter was in a hurry.
It is likely that this is probably a result of manual mass production of lower quality items in the past.