Qing Charger with Roosters (Might be modern)

Started by smak, Oct 24, 2022, 11:28:12

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi all,

What do you guys think? I think it might be more modern than it appears. It has iron deposits.. and 16 inches wide!

postimg.cc/B8jGWj1c
postimg.cc/87KVnRsz
postimg.cc/jCPtdn3M
postimg.cc/fJsZ3W6D
postimg.cc/PCrj43X7
postimg.cc/1fKSDhQ6
postimg.cc/N26cNZ23
postimg.cc/5YF1zX4N
postimg.cc/ZvtmxJnP
postimg.cc/HJNdjwCh

peterp

Hi Simon,
Large plates of this quality with an unglazed (sand) bottom would be Ming Hongwu, but I do not think that the pigment would be right. And the plate rim is also not similar to that of such items from that period.
The picture 5YF1zX4N clearly shows white parallel lines inside the blue decoration. Not sure what this is from, but this is not suspicious too.

I would recommend not to consider such items. This requires either specialization on early Ming items or at least the opportunity to study such items at a museum or major auction house. Over the last five or so years I have evaluated some 1300 items, a large part were wares of the early Ming dynasty, but I do not remember having seen a single large BW plate that was not a fake.
If you want to get into this category, you would need a place to have such items subjected to a hands-on inspection. If this item was authentic it would a six digit figure at a major auction, to say the least. I can not say that early Ming items of this quality would be easy to evaluate, simply because they are rare, but finding some questionable features is almost always possible. But, you cannot get such items on the open market, Ebay, or antique stores, normally.