Big ? a warming dish maybe.

Started by Stan, Aug 09, 2014, 09:49:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I purchased this from my Neighbor, he seems to think that it is late 19th century, one thing is for sure it is a complete set with no chips or cracks, I thought that was good, items of this sort always have broken lids or broken insert, I believe that this is Chinese Export porcelain, the mark looks a little worn to identify but maybe there is enough left for you to identify , this worming dish is 15.24 cm wide and 14.605 cm high to the top of the handle, there is also 2 little holders on each side for a wire to be use as a hanger, I have never seen a dish like this before so I have no idea of age, but it dose look old, I am posting 18 photo's, because there are three sections the bot, insert, and lid, thank you for your expert opinion.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Stan

Stan

Last set of photo's, thanks for viewing, looking forward to your comments.

peterp

Yes, could be late Qing dynasty, but whether 19th century or the remaining 11 years is impossible to tell.
There is a private manufacturers mark. Maybe Shelley can read it? I do not get the third character.
That "CHINA" was used makes it likely that it is export porcelain for America, the mark was probably not used before the mid 1880s until around 1920; so you have a usable time frame.

Stan

Thanks Peter, do you know if this would this be a part of a dinner set or is it something completely separate?

peterp

There is no way to know. Maybe the person you bought it from knows?

shelley Kong

The two characters on the right column are the name and those on the left mean "made, manufactured" I think.

peterp

Shelley, I do not think it says ?? , if it is that what you meant.  Normally it is either ? or ?.  Usually, the character is part of the name with shops or manufacturers. 

shelley Kong

Or the third character means "supervised" I speak Cantonese so don't know how it is pronounced in Mandarin. The chop is too smudgy to tell exactly. I 'm just guessing!

Stan

Shelly do you think it was written in Mandarin.

shelley Kong

Stan,
Mandarin commonly means a pronounciation. So we speak Mandarin but we write either traditional or simplified Chinese. Well, Chinese is complicated, even for the Chinese. In Taiwan, we write traditional Chinese and speak Mandarin. In Hong Kong we write traditional Chinese and speak the Cantonese dialect. In Mainland China, we write simplified Chinese and speak the common language, very similar to Mandarin.

Stan

One thing I would like to point out is that without the insert the lid dose not fit right, with out the insert it would sit on top and the appearance would look right but it could fall off very easily, with the insert it fits perfect and the lid has something to hold it in place, I have seen several jars where at the top inside is unglazed and looks like either a lid or insert and lid could be missing, this is the first on I have seen complete, I have not been able to find another example to compare, any help would be appreciated.