Light green celadon bowl

Started by Stan, Aug 05, 2014, 08:20:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, and all I have this celadon bowl, I would like to know the age, I have had people tell me that it is Ming, but I just do not know much about celadon porcelain your expertise is appreciated, I will send 12 photo's, thanks again.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Last set of photo's, this is the bowl I purchased from my neighbor.

Stan

Hi, I forgot to give you the dimensions the diameter is 27.94 cm and the hight is 9.525.

peterp

If it is Chinese, I would think it could be late Qing at the most, judging by the foot rim.
But, the decoration is unknown to me, and I cannot tell for sure if it is Chinese. I feel that this also could be Korean or from another source.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I did find a celadon bowl at Christies That had a very similar design, but the shape of the bowl was different.

peterp

It is not the shape of the bowl, it is the foot rim, and the very large "whirl" decoration, that makes me think it is later.
BTW, we call that "whirl" a Hui pattern because it looks similar to the character Hui (??.

Apart from its shape, I would also need to feel the consistency of the clay/paste of the foot rim.  It looks a bit dense for earlier wares.

Stan

I clicked it with my finger and it has a high ring tone, I think it is porcelain not clay or stone ware, I think your right Peter it is a later piece, I could not find any examples when I searched Japanese and Korean celadon bowls, you think it could be late Qing?

shelley Kong

The foot rim is too thick for a traditional Chinese bowl.

Stan

It is starting to sound like a fake? thanks shelly, if it were older than Qing then the foot rim would fit but as Peter mentioned the foot rim and swirls do not fit period. Hmmm!