Lid (?)

Started by konniela, May 21, 2022, 21:57:57

Previous topic - Next topic

konniela

Hello, everybody here.

I bought this single little lid (think so). The diameter is only 5,3 cm. Late Qing in my view. The mark is so small and it is  difficult to make a good photo. I was not able to find out more on this mark, something like: Mark of hall..... Is it a lid from a small jar ?   

Thanks for information and help.

konniela

one more

peterp

I'm afraid I have several doubts about this.
First, the glaze is too white and pristine. Then, a lid painted inside? Never saw that. At the very best it would be glazed but not decorated...normally, that is.  Often lids remained unglazed along the rim,where they would be placed on a vessel.
The mark appears to be 錦堂發記 (Jintang Faji) a workshop or store name, it seems. There was indeed such a workshop in the Guangxu reign, but not sure if it is the same. Judging by the items online I see the following discrepancies, between those. Some look just too new and pristine, more resembling yours. The characters were usually different writing. This may or may not point to a later manufacture or a different workshop of the same name.
Some of the items clearly show the glaze and characteristics of late Qing products, including a slightly bluish tint of the glaze. Yours is bright white glaze and the clay is so white that it is difficult to recognize it as such. Could as well be glass, looking at these photos. I'm talking about the rim where the mark is. There should be unglazed clay, because that is where an item stands in a kiln.

Then, the decorations online were of a different type, but old looking. With some items bearing that mark the decoration resembled Bleu de Hue. Some even had the metal rim such items often have. That means they were made for export to Vietnam.