Qianlong vase with rare script, please help with identification

Started by frankramucci, Jul 30, 2014, 00:43:41

Previous topic - Next topic

frankramucci

I purchased this around 24 years ago and recently found it hidden away in my attic. The problem is no one can decipher the script. Please help, thank you

peterp

Hi, this is all wrong. The mark shows clearly that those faking it had no idea of Chinese character writing.

frankramucci

Interesting! It doesn't make any sense that someone would go through that much trouble of using the ancient method of firing and hand painting this vase yet not even put the effort into perfecting the characters on the seal?

peterp

You will find other posts in this forum with even more unreadable characters. They were not even made in China. So, that is the reason why. They cannot copy characters properly if they do not have a basic understanding of the strokes.
But then, their targets for selling are tourists and other people who have no idea of written Chinese, normally.
You should upload pictures to show the item. The mark is not decisive in any way (see "Marks" in the main menu).

peterp

Vase shape not traditional Chinese shape.
Decoration not traditional Chinese. It is a superficial imitation of Chinese motifs.
Decoration is printed.

Printed items cannot even be considered fakes. They are all from recent times and easily recognized.

frankramucci

Thank you peter, this might sound awkward but I used to work in commodities and was excited not just by the money but by the chase and success just as much. That being said I'm a newbie in every sense of the word but the hunt for treasure is what really attracted me to the antique business! It's very addictive so the hunt shall go on!

peterp

Among Chinese collectors they have a saying: 
"Look at many (antique items), buy few"
Another one not limited to Chinese is that a certain percentage of the should be invested in books, rather than just buying antique items. Acquiring the necessary knowledge is important with Chinese porcelain. Some never read and the only they have after ten, twenty years is a house full of fakes. Good luck!