large vase

Started by de munte, Feb 25, 2022, 00:13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

de munte

Bought this large vase.
Can someone date it for me?

Greetings Peter

de munte

Tonghzi mark, but i think this vase is 20 th century?
When its a repro .... Does it come from china?

Stan

de munte

Ok thanks. Is it a vase made in china?

Greetings de munte

peterp

This is a Chinese Gu vase. This shape is copying ancient bronze objects from more than two thousand years ago.

The decoration is of a type that is difficult to translate, but it is of objects found in the studio of scholars or literati.
See these examples, but I do not mean to state these are all authentic antiques:
https://tinyurl.com/yyhja6pa

Basically, decoration and colors would conform to the late Qing dynasty, but there are questions remaining.
- An unglazed, old-looking bottom but a mouth that looks entirely pristine and unused!?
- The Tongzhi mark was added later. Marks would not be placed this way, but they did it probably because of the unglazed bottom.
- It could be a fake or a re-painted or overpainted item.

You can check if it is possible to insert a needle into the glaze inside the mouth, for example. If it goes in, this means it was over-painted, but if it was re-fired it will not. Some parts of the decoration might be newer, but the pictures are insufficient to see details clearly.

I would advise not to buy this if you didn't already.

de munte

thanks for all the info!

This week I bought this vase because I find it a beautiful vase.
When I received it and saw the mark I thought maybe its thongzhi!
When I bought it I thought it is 20th century or so...

When it was I thonghzi vase I would have luck! But this is also ok.... For me personally it is important by this vase it is produced in China. ( and I think it is ) ??

I should never buy a vase of more then 200 euros  when I did'nt know what it really is.

I've searched on " gu vase " and i've learned again a little bit more about chinese art.
And....... I saw my vase was for sale a year ago in Belgium! :-D
www.coronariauctions.com/en/auction-may-2021-asian-european-and-islamic-arts/4765-a-chinese-famille-rose-gu-vase-with-antiquities-20th-c

But my vase was'nt bought on that auction.

I bought this vase for 100 euro's. I think it is not to much?!?! It's a large hand painted vase and it is a beautiful one in my opinion. Ok... its a replica. A real one should be to expensive for me.

Greetings Peter

konniela

The vase is not antique, but very nice. And it is a good sign, that it was offered in this auction house. I think, you did not pay to much for it, especially if you like it. it was offered for a higher price (and I hope, that I will not get into trouble with peterp for the link)

www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-chinese-famille-rose-gu-vase-with-antiquities-2-c-15947F495E#

de munte

thanks for you answer

but I think the vase you let see is a total different and older vase

My vase is more like this one: ( looks if it is from the same artist! )

[link removed by admin -- Ebay links are problematic because they seem to support a specific seller or item, the other links should be all right because they are non-commital]

konniela

No, this is the vase offered at cornari auctions 8.5.21, look at the lot Nr. (760), my link is from invaluable