Sculptured Celadon vase

Started by Stan, Jul 28, 2014, 09:58:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I just purchased this from an antique dealer who gives me really good deals, we argued about weather or not it is Chinese or Japanese, I said it was Japanese and he insisted that it was Chinese, I bought it anyway thinking it was Japanese but I found the mark in my book, it means Chun Hua = Spring Flowers, the mark is an apocryphal Tang period mark, but definitely Chinese, Or could it be Japanese made for the Chinese market? The porcelain is a high quality porcelain very dense and all hand painted, Please let me know what you think.

Stan

Stan

Stan

Last set of Photo's, thanks Peter.

peterp

First, I would like to clarify two things.
During the Tang dynasty no marks were in use.
The character for Tang is read "Kara" and is used with the meaning "China, Chinese", thus Karamono (=Chinese wares).

This said, I cannot imagine this being Chinese unless it was made in the last few decades for export to Japan. There are no traditional Chinese wares with such a shape or decoration. The fact that the celadon is slightly reminiscent of a Longquan glaze does not change this. This looks all Japanese.

BTW, a seal impression of this shape is always Japanese. It is a name, probably an artist's personal name. Todays Japanese seals have the same standard shape, but usually contain the family name.

Stan

Thanks for clearing that up, I was right all along, I to thought it was Japanese but the mark through me off, I guess you can move me to the Japanese posts, thanks peter.