Snuff bottle mark.

Started by Qst42know, Jul 27, 2014, 20:48:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Qst42know

I hope someone can read this mark. It appears to be on top of the glaze so it's only partially there.

Truth be told I can't tell if it's right side up. LOL

Qst42know

Stan

I believe that this is a Chinese porcelain carved snuff bottle, probably late Qing, I can't make out the mark either, but I was told by experienced collectors that the ones like this that is the most collectable would have carved animals and  less people,

Qst42know

Thanks again Stan. As always good information.

Perhaps PeterP will have better luck with the mark.

Stan

Hi Qst42know, these marks are apocryphal and can not be used for age, I have one that is similar that had a Qialong mark but is late Qing.

peterp

The first character seems to be Qian...of Qianlong, but not completely sure as the mark is in a bad shape. It could have been added later, but is apocryphal.
Late Qing probably.

Qst42know

I was doing some reading elsewhere and if what I found is true snuff was introduced by the Portuguese during the qing dynasty so older marks  on snuff bottles would all be apocryphal.

In any case thanks for the information gentlemen. 

By the way did I have what was left of the mark right side up?

Qst42know

PeterP
You have mentioned before that Chinese decorations often follow a story line or folklore.
Do the decoratins on this bottle resemble such a theme?

peterp

It is just a lot of children, I think, a matter that by itself was considered auspicious, in ancient China.

shelley Kong

In old China, we wished people one hundred children and a thousand grandchildren, which today is almost like a curse!