Hello Forum, can anyone help me determining this plate/saucer?

Started by Undergazer, Aug 20, 2021, 16:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Undergazer

Hello there,
I am Undergazer from Holland and new to this forum. I am very exited when I think of all the expertise that must be here. I am willingly to learn.
I have this plate for a long time, but I never could find items that are alike, so I am stil hoping for someone who can tell me a bit more about
this plate. It has a diameter of 19 cm and is about 3 cm of height.
Tanx very much in advance!

Stan

These photo's are to small to tell, it looks like it could be printed but I can't tell from these photo's, I notice your photo you posted is 131 kb, you can post 2 photo's at 200 kb for each photo that is a total of 400 kb or less for each reply also a picture of the whole bottom at an angle 45 degrees.

Undergazer

Tanx! I hope these pics are a bit better! Tanx!

Stan

The foot looks like 18th century, but im not sure about white ground, it looks like it was buried or possibly chemically treated, if it was chemically treated that is something that fakers use to make something look old, but from these pictures if is hard to tell for sure could you post close up photo's of the decoration and one of the white ground, thanks.

Undergazer

Tanx for your comment and time. Hereby 2 close-up pics. Tanx again.

Stan

The double circle on the bottom would indicate Kangxi period, looks like it was buried, let see what Peter says.

peterp

Most likely as you said, Stan. Never saw this decoration pattern before. Seems to be something made for the common people.

Undergazer

Well, tanx a lot, guys! Very happy to be on this forum.

peterp

Click on New Topic at the top of the board and then enter text. Images can be selected directly on your device using the buttons below the text input field.

Undergazer

Though I am very happy with your thoughts about the plate, I am still a bit uncertain about it. I did a lot of
searching and about the floral decoration and the way it is painted, I think the style that is most alike, is WANLI
I think. What would you say about that idea? Maybe it is totally nonsense what i say, but I 'd like to find more about
it, as you can understand. maybe you want to think about the plate one more time... Thanks!!

peterp

The shape, foot rim and glaze all point to Qing dynasty. A decoration alone never can tell the period because it can be imitated, and in fact some decorations are known to have been used again and again for a hundred and more years.
Stan already told you about the foot and mark. That means, if those are not Ming your item cannot be Ming even if you find a similar decoration in the Ming dynasty.
Such items were often made by some smaller non-mainstream kilns creating simple items for the people, and sometimes it is impossible to know where they are from. The individual kilns operating in China were probably in the thousands.

Undergazer