Chinese antique b/w Meiping vase

Started by Stan, Jul 25, 2014, 08:27:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I have this Meiping vase with a Kangxi mark, Im thinking 19th century but I was told it was 18th century, I would appreciate your expert opinion, thanks, I will send 16 photo's.

Stan

Stan

Last set of Photo's for you to evaluate, thanks again.

peterp

The blue pigment makes me think Qianlong or later. But several elements of a Kangxi decoration were copied. For example, the way the water is painted (although the lines are usually painted thinner in the Kangxi reign), and the leafless trees resemble those of Kangxi decorations. The mountains don't spcifically look Kangxi, though.
Basically, I would be more comfortable to say Kangxi if more of the blue colors would have a hue like that of the fisher in the boat.

Not sure if the vase shoulder decoration looking like a castle wall was used in the Kangxi reign, but it was common in the late Qing dynasty. The shape is also slightly deviating from the normal curves, but that would be possible, I think.
I would think that this could be a mid to late Qing item copying a Kangxi decoration.

Did you check for the seam inside? There should be a seam inside, where the upper and lower parts were connected, but its traces might have been cleaned/removed if it is later.

Stan

Hi Peter, there is a seam in side the vase, from the top down to where it starts to turn about another inch in is the seam, it is rough all around the seam I can feel it with my finger, but it is consistent all around with very little kiln cracks, but there is the usual pitting and some areas missing glaze and kiln cracks from shrinkage, Im not seeing a castle wall though.

peterp

What do you mean with "from the top down"? Is it vertical? That should not be...it should be horizontal. Items were thrown independently in two (mostly) or more parts (the larger ones), then the upper and lower parts were fit together.
Later in the Qing dynasty the resulting seam was cleaned, so that it is less or not visible. In the Ming dynasty it was usually visible inside, and often on the outside too.

What we call "castle wall" decoration is the band decoration on the shoulder, just where it touches the neck. It is called that way because it looks like merlons/embrasures of a medieval castle. You will find this frequently on Guangxu ginger jars with prunus decoration.

Stan

Sorry for the confusion, the seam is horizontal, I was just trying to let you know where the seam is measuring from the top down 3.81 cm, that is where the seam is. I see what you mean " Castle wall decoration " I will remember that, what we call it here is " dental decoration " is is a Classical Greek revival decoration on furniture, so on porcelain it is called Castle wall, thank you for that information, the seam is rough in side horizontal seam, thanks Peter.