Qianlong Bowl

Started by GerryG, Apr 28, 2021, 19:03:27

Previous topic - Next topic

GerryG

A friend asked if I could find out more about this bowl. It is in very good condition and apart from some minor loss to the gilding on the edge of the rim, it is perfect. It is thinly potted, I suppose one could say eggshell and has the shape of an 18th century piece with the everted rim and slender straw coloured foot rim. The seal mark is well done and the glaze and colours are well executed. I'd love to think this is a genuine M&P qianlong piece but my guess it is a Republic Period copy though a good one at that. It was bought at auction about 20 years ago and had some provenance coming from the estate of a collector. Dimensions are 6.5 inches in diameter and 3.5 inches in height. Thanks for looking.

Gerry

peterp

This is either Guangxu reign or later. I cannot tell if it is Qing dynasty, but have seen it offered twice at minor auctions and have a pair here. The decorations and condition are all the same, but they had Guangxu marks. Normally we should expect such a decoration to be from the Daoguang reign, however with Guangxu marks they could not be earlier than that, or later, I'm afraid.