Help me to identify my celadon ewer

Started by Johnnyka40, Mar 31, 2021, 01:17:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyka40

Hi everyone
My name is John and I have some oriental objects that I couldn't identify, didn't find anything, or simply don't fit the data about them.
The first one gives me a lot headache,
I think, this is a beauty of lotus carved bluish celadon ewer .
Someone translated for me , but I think just doesn't fitt,
He said this is Korean from the shapes or maybe Chinese also,

" 石峴 is a place name (cca. Stone Hill). The second character 峴 is used in Korean and Chinese place names only - there is not Japanese place name containing this character. So the Japanese origin can be ruled out by all odds. In Korea I have found at least two village names with these characters - but it can be a place name within a larger town or city, too.
The village name - Seok-Hyeon - is not romanized, it is in Korean Hangul script and in Chinese characters in parentheses, therefore you can't Google it up in English.
After this there is nothing left but the transcription of the kiln name into romanized Korean 八山陶窯 Palsan do-yo "Palsan Pottery Kiln" "
But with these details I couldn't find anything.

Hope someone will recognise these seal mark and sign.

Thanks
Sincerely
John

peterp

The shape resembles somewhat an early Chinese one (Song or Yuan), but the lid and handle shape is not from that period; that is, they would not be antique Chinese, probably. Korean? may be, but not that old either. I assume you are aware that virtually no markings exist on antique Korean wares? Those which have one seem to be all made in the 20th century. The handle looks more  European, by the way. You did not show the base, which may reveal more, but the excellent condition of the glaze makes it look as if it was a 20th century item.

Could it (石峴) be a person's or company name?
To me the last character of the seal mark looks more like a 寶  than a 窯. It seems the lower part of that character is a 貝 rather than 羔. Thus it may be 八山陶寶 .