Large Japanese blue and white Charger

Started by Stan, Jul 21, 2014, 01:30:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I have this Charger, I am trying to determine the age, I believe it is 18th or late 17th century and would appreciate your expertise, I have many Japanese Chargers but none as old as this one, it looks like they were trying to imitate the Chinese Kangxi period, The charger is 55.88 cm wide and is 8.255 cm high it is all hand painted, I am sending a lot of photo's for review, thank you very much on your comments.

peterp

Stan, you know more about Japanese porcelain than me. Almost all my knowledge comes from viewing items on the Japanese internet, mostly Yahoo auctions (yes, Yahoo has still auctions, here and in Japan). I do not know if it is possible to compare age signs, but if it were Chinese, I would think at least 19th century, perhaps earlier. I would first look at Meiji era items, then at those from the late Edo era, but a plus would be if you could discern the possible kiln.

PS: When searching for information, I would also try image searches on Bing for something like "blue white plate japan edo meiji", and also try google.co.jp, which has an English version.
(Google search results in different countries, even if done in English, are not necessarily bringing the same results.)

Stan

Thanks Peter for that information, I believe the charger is made in Arita, I have several Edo period plates that have the same lines on the bottom, three out side the foot rim and one inside, I will try searching using the site you mentioned, thanks again.