Seek help identifying vase.

Started by Gunnar, Mar 21, 2014, 21:40:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunnar

Hey.

I am novice in this.

I came across this vase. It awoke my interest and I studied a little on the net and came to some uneducated results regarding it which I think are best kept silent :)

Can any here with experience and knowledge tell me what I have here.

It is 294mm heigh.
It has a picture of two children playing. My first guess was two boys, now I think it is a boy and a girl. They are companied by a woman.
There is a butterfly most likely flying above one child.
There are two butterflies on the opposite site of the picture in the "front".

Don't know what more to say, please ask if I can give any more info.

(I attach 3 photos)

Best regards and thanks.

Gunnar

peterp

In the images the outlines of the tree and people's faces, etc. look as if they were transfer printed. Not quite sure about this, though. The filling (blue wash) and butterflies on the back could be handpainted. You could use a magnifier to make sure.
The ladies hairdo is republican period, and the double ring mark was not commonly used anymore during that time.
Difficult to tell from when in the 20th century this could actually be. Only, if it IS really transfer printed, it is likely second or third quarter, or even later.
My personal opinion.

Gunnar

Thanks peterp

I admit that I thought it was older, the base and double circle are to blame along with my lack of knowledge in the field at hand of course :)

What should I be looking for when examining if the picture is a transfer print or not?
(am novice but very interested, this has really caught my attention).

For future estimations can you tell me how young vases with "rust spots" can be according to your experience?
And are there any books or articles that you could recommend to read to get better at this?

Best regards and gratitude

Gunnar