Blanc de Chine

Started by samborsu, Nov 05, 2020, 23:52:52

Previous topic - Next topic

samborsu

Good morning, I have had this "Blanc de Chine" statue for 45 years. I would like to know if it is antique and from what period.
Thank you

peterp

First we will need to establish whether it is Chinese or Japanese. The Japanese also did make white Guanyin figurines.
If this was Chinese, it would have to be from about 1900 or later, probably, due to its snow white color.
If it was Chinese it would have to be from Dehua, and their figurines usually had a fully open bottom, that means 'no' bottom. You could see the finger prints inside where the craftsmen pushed the clay into shape. With Japanese ones the bottom would be closed, with a tiny hole in the center. But here it is large. And what is visible inside, through the hole, looks too neat to be handmade. In addition there is the marking which looks familiar but might be Japanese, or newer Chinese. The character 右 means 'right' (side) and makes little meaning otherwise in Chinese, but in Japan the character appears in personal names of men.
That is why I think it is more likely Japanese. (The bottom might also be possible in more recent Dehua products, perhaps.)
There also seems to be a thin orange line along the edge of the glaze, at the bottom. If that is right, then this is another sign that it may be of Japanese origin.

samborsu

Peterp, After reading your answer, I think this is Japanese. I looked to the base and it appears to me (??) that the flat part has been placed after. The yellow (orange)line looks like where the base and the top of the statue are coming together. This statue is part of a pair. This is a picture of the base of the 2nd one. If it is Japanese, do you have a way to tell when it was made? 9knowing hat I have it for 45 years)