Identification help

Started by rachelfraley89, Oct 03, 2020, 01:00:41

Previous topic - Next topic

rachelfraley89

Hello everyone out there!

I came across a brush holder recently that I am at a complete loss regarding identifying... It came with a "certificate of antiquity" from China Merchants that says "made during the ching dynasty" but that is the only information I have on it.

I also got a similar-looking holder without any kind of papers. I'm completely in over my head here, so any information at all would be fantastic!

The holder with black line decorations is the one that came with the papers. The colorful one without.

Thanks in advance!!

rachelfraley89

Additional Pictures below. The size limit is so small!!

peterp

The size is usually sufficient. If you cut off the irrelevant background the item should appear much larger. Of course sufficient resolution is essential.
The top image shows a brush holder that is likely about late Qing dynasty (Guangxu reign) to early republic. There is a Tongzhi Nianzhi mark, but this is probably apocryphal. The gilt along the rim and painting style is likely later.

Black on white brush holder is probably also about late Qing (Guangxu). A partial close-up picture of the line drawing would be interesting. This type of decoration is not plenty. And a bottom picture is usually essential for dating.