Tripod Brush Washer

Started by kardinalisimo, Aug 18, 2014, 10:56:10

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

The side of the bowl is inscribed with what looks like "OKINAWA".
So, I am thinking Japanese maybe. If so, any idea of the age and type of ware.
Too bad the raised decoration on the rim is quite damaged.
Thanks

Stan

Nice bowl, you are right it is Japanese, I have very little knowledge on these types of wares.

kardinalisimo

Hi Stan.
I do not know if I am on the right lead but it could be Sumida Gawa ware. The examples I am finding are color glazed on the inside but I did find few pieces of this kind of pottery signed Okinawa on the base.

Stan

That is a really good piece, I believe it is items like this that will have more collectors value when the Japanese porcelain or stone ware start to appreciate, a lot of Japanese porcelain is overlooked today, and you can get really good deals on it, it think that the Chinese porcelain is getting really hard to find the really good stuff is going for top dollar, I was bidding on a Chinese censor on ebay and it went through the roof, they are still bidding  the last time I looked it was $50,000.00 dollars and so you can see how Japanese porcelain is going to sky rocket, or is that wishful thinking?

Stan

I just looked at the Chinese censor that is on ebay and the high bid for now is $80,100.00 that is the highest price item that I have seen on ebay.

kardinalisimo

I saw that censer on Ebay. I am curious what Peter thinks about it.
I checked the one that sold on Christies as well. Aside being on green ground I've noticed that the key frets (swirls) on the neck have one more swirl than the one on Ebay. Also, on the Christies examples the swirls on the neck, the handle and the feet are all in pairs. On the Ebay piece, the swirls on the handles are connected.
How about the bottom of the feet, are not they too dirty?
I am not buying the story with the mark being erased to overpass the export restrictions. I think that the erased mark will make it even more suspicious for the export agents and would trigger a better investigation.
I don't know, maybe Peter can tell us if it is that easy to trick the Chinese officials.

peterp

Maybe you can provide the item name so that I can look at it?

Stan, 80,000 on Ebay? I would be afraid of shill bidding.

peterp

The fact that the mark was removed tells us something...
The hue of green glaze of the interior tells us something about the possible age.
The three bid cancellations also speak for themselves.
A bit too much for that, in my view.

kardinalisimo

A bit too much or a lot too much? What is your opinion, is it from the periods they claim it to be?

Stan

Sorry guys, I had to run, it was Joanies House of Treasures, These came out of an estate that she has been selling for over a year, it is not all being sold at once, but I will say it is some of the best Chinese porcelain I have seen on ebay and she usually has good stuff, I bought a Meiji bronze vase with silver inlay that is something else for a good price but all her Chinese porcelain goes for a lot, I have never won a bid on her Chiese porcelain,

Stan

There was a time in China in the 60s " The Cultural Revolution " I think it ran about from 1962 to 1969 where you had hard liners, they were called the Gang of Six and they destroyed a lot of the Antique porcelain and some of the people that had the real nice porcelain rubbed the names off to protect them from being destroyed, the censors on Christies also showed the same marks removed on some of them, I have seen other Items with the names or pictures of royalty scratched completely off.

peterp

Anyway, the green color means it can perhaps be late Qing dynasty.
I know the seller, Stan. They have many good items, but I frequently found some that I am sure the people here would find questionable. Better be careful when buying expensive items.

Stan

Thanks Peter for looking out for us, I my self even, if I could afford it would want to handle it before paying that kind of money, and there was another item that sold for $48,000.00.