Noire Bowl

Started by kardinalisimo, Jul 16, 2014, 07:23:09

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Is that late Qing, Republic or later? The mark is off center but have any of you seen similar?
Thanks

peterp

Could be Japanese. The mark is nothing I have ever seen. Let's see what Stan says. He knows more about this type of wares, I think.

kardinalisimo

Peter, if we put the mark aside, is there anything specific in the shape, foot and decoration that would make it Japanese? Or in other words, what would make the bowl non-Chinese? 

kardinalisimo

Nevermind,found similar ones marked Nippon. So could be Japanese indeed.

peterp

You get it the wrong way round. The same way as the Chinese now imitate traditional Japanese designs, so did the Japanese copy Chinese motifs and/or design elements. You expect to see the Japanese influence on a Chinese item, or the Chinese influence on a Japanese item, but some are too good to show any obvious similarities (or differences). You only get to know them by experience. Even with some 19th century European copies of Chinese motifs (aka Choiserie) it takes sometimes more than average experience to recognize them.

These are not traditional colors, so it is likely either Japanese or modern Chinese. In this case, it is just a feeling of the color combination ...but I am not sure which it is. It does not look antique, however. Just reminding me of some Chinese decorations on Japanese plates made in the 2nd quarter of the 20th century.

kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo

It is funny. Today I saw few plates with similar decoration. Definately Japanese.

Stan

Hi Peter and kardinalisimo, I have never seen a mark like this before but I agree with Peter, Japanese mid 20 century.