Chinese antique bowl

Started by Stan, Jul 15, 2014, 07:50:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, last weekend I set up a booth at the portland expo antique show for the weekend, I was selling mostly Chinese antique porcelain, while I was there I purchased a couple of items, the first is a white bowl that has pale blueish white color, I bought it because of the size it is larger than usual the diameter is 19.685 cm and the height is 12.7 cm. It looks like an antique the bottom is glazed and looks old, the dealer I bought this from said he has owned it for at least 40 years he looked like he was in his 70s or older, I also purchased a blue and white rouleau vase, it looks like it could be period, I will post pictures, but for now the bowl, he said he thought is was Japanese, but I think it is Chinese and would like your expertise, this is the first time I ever exhibited at a show it was a lot of work but it was fun there was hundreds of dealers, it was a nice antique show, here are the pictures of the bowl

Stan

Stan

peterp

Not sure what you mean with "period", Stan?
Definitely old, but I doubt that it goes back to the Qing dynasty. The main reason is the unconventional shape. But then, not sure because this doesn't seem to be one of the normal food bowls. I think it could also be Japanese, which would be easier to account for its shape and age.
I cannot see any definite signs either way, only that it is old.

Stan

Hi Peter, when I said period I was referring to the Rouleau vase, this bowl I do not no anything about, the dealer said it was Japanese, but then a Chinese man that was looking at his items said it was Yuan, but not with a glazed bottom, I thought it might be chinese, but this has a high clay content, when I click it with me finger it dose not have a porcelain ring but more of a dull sound but more of a ring than a satsuma vase. Maybe it is Japanese, how old would you say that it is.

Stan

Hi Peter, do you think it could be Korean, I just found a couple on christies past lots that are the same size or very close.

peterp

Korean? That would be a good possibility. That could account for the shape, I think.