Begining of 19th?

Started by rgomes10, Jun 22, 2020, 05:50:09

Previous topic - Next topic

rgomes10

Hello!
I think the plate has a ming mark and it is from the 19th. Can you help me, please?
Thank you!
Best regards,
Regina

Stan

Hi Regina, you should post the whole object as marks are apocryphal, but as far as marks go I have not seen a Ming mark like this before.

rgomes10

Another photo...

rgomes10

So, What mark can it be?
Thank you!

peterp

The mark is shown upside down. It is a Chenghua mark (成化年製).
About mid-Qing period. As there are no closeups it is impossible to see the blue color clearly, but it could be a Dehua kiln item.

Stan

Sorry I have to ask, is it small dots making up the decoration? a close up photo of the decoration that is clear will show for sure, if it is it would be printed.

peterp

Stan, do you think it could be a Japanese copy of a Chinese motif?

Stan

Yes Peter, that was my first impression but when I looked closer at the decoration, you can see little dots Im not sure if the dots were hand painted or printed, a close up photo of the decoration could confirm this, and normally a Chenghua mark on Japanese would be a six character mark beginning with Great with a dot under neath the character meaning greatest, in my book they show a Kangxi mark using 4 characters so it is possible that the Chenghua mark could have been 4 as well but I think that would be rare, I have only seen a 6 Character mark for Chenghua.

peterp

Most Fangge (imitation Ge) wares made in the late Qing dynasty have a Chenghua mark, and sometimes one finds one on other mid-Qing items, mostly the more simple ones. Not sure why that is, but it is a fact. When you mentioned that you want to check a closeup pictures I knew that you thought it might be Japanese. Yes, it is better to check.
If possible I would also like to see a a partial picture of the rim edge, as seen from the underside. That is because it might show if this is from Dehua kiln or not. Many chargers with such decorations were made at Dehua, but often the bottom is unglazed. The foot rim seems to be low, wide and round, which would agree with this.