Help with Large Dragon Vase

Started by Acidgypsy, Jun 01, 2020, 19:33:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Acidgypsy

Hello all!
I am looking for some assistance. I just purchased this vase in an outdoor market in Shanghai, China. It caught my eye 3 months ago, and finally negotiated a deal to make it mine. The vendor was Chinese and I am not. He could not speak English and my Mandarin is very basic. The translation apps were of little help as well. But I love the vase! Can anyone tell me anything recognizable about this? Maybe I can piece some of what he was saying to me with any help here. I will also attach a video that shows the rotation of the vase.
Thank you in advance for any help in identification/story/info around this.

Shortcut to youtube video showing 360 degree rotation.
youtu.be/9VMVu7xfI6U

peterp

When evaluating an item we need pictures. A video is mostly unsuitable. It will be necessary to look at the bottom, the mouth and some details. Here many details are not clear enough. It is a modern vase with fine details, they can make anything at Jingdezhen, nowadays.
The 'likelihood' that you got an antique is remote. More than 99% of porcelain items on the market are new or fake. Here you have a vase with a shangping 賞瓶 shape, and a Yongzheng mark. Something like this, if it was antique, would possibly be imperial and cost at least in the six digit figure on the market, if it were antique. However, nowadays genuine items are not available anymore, except perhaps at auction. It looks all new, in my view. BTW, Yongzheng marks are usually on the bottom, so that is not typical, and tere is also too much gloss for a period item.