Yuhuchunping Vase with Yongzheng mark

Started by JjGhandi, May 26, 2020, 21:38:21

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hello Peter, Stan & everyone else!

I came across this Blue & White Yuhuchunping vase with a Yongzheng mark.
The hues of blue seem correct to be used in that period (as far as I can tell of course).

The problem for me is the foot rim.
It looks like it's straight where as I suppose it should be wider at the bottom and narrower above?
Also the mark seems off to me. I don't know why.

What are your opinions?
Could this be 18th century or is it later?
What would the correct period be?

Thanks in advance!

peterp

The foot rim features valid for plates and dishes do not apply to other items. Here the item has a worm back (rounded) which normally was used for imperial and other superior wares. The mark on the other hand is in zhuanshu style, however in the Yongzheng reign the kaishu style was the norm. See: https://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/pottery-marks.html

I doubt this is of the period or even from the Qing dynasty. I have never had the opportunity to handle such an item, due to their relative rarity and value, probably, but also due to the fact that in the Yongzheng reign fencai wares were the main stream products.
Notable is the whiteness of the glaze, which in that period should be slightly off white, I think.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter,

Very good riddance.
Indeed I have read about the Yongzheng Zhuanshu marks of the period being extremely rare.
Hence it rose my suspision I suppose.

So differences in foot rim styles do not apply to vases to determine authenticity. That's very useful information.

The quality is obviously not superb enough to be imperial ware and the glaze is too white.
Enough indications for me to pass.

Thanks Peter!

Kind regards,

JJ

Stan

I would like to point out the mark itself looks printed and then filled in by hand the areas that were broken from the transfer.

JjGhandi

Hey Stan,

Indeed it does.
Thanks for the input!

JJ