Is this really an heirloom?

Started by theoldvase, Jul 13, 2014, 02:02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

theoldvase

My great grandfather was a pioneer of our country Singapore and was a very rich and successful man.

My father spoke about all the family ancient treasures which my grandfather lost and eventually gave away. Do not want to touch on the detail.

However, there were 2 things that were left, one very old book with my great grandfather in there as the pioneer and this vase left in my father's possession which many siblings used to fight over.

I read your write up about identification and found all the signs of aging. I'm 47 now and this has been with my dad even before I was born.

Can you help identify this vase for me. I am curious as to why my grandfather only kept this vase over all other valuables.

Thanks

peterp

Please be aware that the bottom may be essential to confirm age.
From the decoration and shape you have a 19th century vase with blue/white decoration on celadon.

theoldvase

Thanks for the reply! I'll take a picture of the bottom for you. however, there is no mark or seal at the bottom. does that mean anything? I'll also try to take a picture which shows the crackles and post it up tomorrow. Thanks again Peter!

theoldvase

Hi Peter,

Here are more photos. Hope you can give me more insights.

Thank you!

Regards

Stan

Hi Theoldvase, I personally think that this is vintage at the most, the bottom foot inside slopes from the foot to the inside bottom, with late 19th century it should be straight, same for late 20th century, in my humble opinion.

peterp

Marks are irrelevant. I wanted to look at the foot rim and base area.

Stan, some of the large vases of the late Qing dynasty do indeed have a slight inward slant at the foot rim. This may be found when the foot rim area near the bottom is also slighty "bent" on the outside. Consider this an exception, please. It appears on large vases only. In republic period and later vases the slant may be more pronounced.
I know three types of foot rims, with this type of late Qing vases only: one continues the slight bent outline of the vase towards the very bottom. One has a foot rim added, and one is slighty straightened or outward bent near the base. The latter can have a slanted inner rim.

What is concerning me more is the crackling. Of the many such large vases I have seen, I do not remember a single one that was crackled. But it could be caused by relatively great temperature differences, etc.
However, the age signs around the ears and base look genuine. The ears themselves depict two lions (foo dogs), something that is a bit on the earlier side. The ears of the later ones are different. Still 19th century, I think.

Stan

My apologies  to Theoldvase, thanks peter for correcting me on the bottoms, it seems like we just went over this, eventually it will sink in, thanks again Peter.

peterp

I do not think I ever mentioned this before, Stan. We mostly consider the normal, not the exceptions, that is normal... :-)

theoldvase

Hi Peter and Stan,

Thanks for all the replies. Do you know anyone in my part of the world that could examine first hand? A peer of yours maybe?

Thanks.

Stan

Here in Portland Oregon, Bonhams, and Christies auctions come out to evaluate items, go to there web site and you can get phone numbers to call and find out when they will be in your area, it is free for them to look at your item or items they will let you know if they think it will be good at their auction.

theoldvase

theoldvase

Hi Guys,

Its me again. I don't really have someone who can really help me here. Based on your experience, How much would say this vase is worth? Thanks for the response in advance.

Regards