Blue & White Vase

Started by tipton444, Mar 12, 2020, 01:56:28

Previous topic - Next topic

tipton444

Hello my friends,

I've had this vase lying around for years and it's time I find out more about it.  I bought it at the flea market, and I'm not certain but I'm guessing it is Japanese?  It definitely doesn't have any Chinese characteristics to it besides the meiping/baluster type shape.  The guy I bought it from said it wasn't old, but he was clueless and doesn't normally sell Asian items, but it still left a little doubt in my head... Upon closer look you can see a whole bunch of dimples in the glaze, which has that early light blue colored tinge to it.  The foot is nice and white with some red, which could be iron oxide?  Or is that from something getting on it?  Someone wrote a price of 20 bucks in permanent marker, so that would have to be removed at some point.  I'm just curious, what do you guys think?  Is it old?  Do you see a lot of newer pieces of porcelain with a whole bunch of dimples like this?  I'm sure faker's replicate them, but this certainly looks genuine.  Thanks as always for the help.

Eric

tipton444

More pictures

Stan

Hi Eric, the shape with the low neck flared mouth is a Japanese shape and the Iris decoration, if this was as old as it looks, you would see blisters and rust spots in the cobalt blue visible to the naked eye or with a ten times loop magnifier, I do not see them in your pictures, can you take a close up photo of the cobalt blue with any blisters or rust spots, thanks.