Big charger -Probably 20c?

Started by haukech, Dec 12, 2019, 06:34:52

Previous topic - Next topic

haukech

Dear All,
I saw this plate and as i was looking for some in famille verte pallete, plus some traditional scenary made a choice of trying. Obviously it wont be a kangxi period item even if there is a mark. Its heavily potted, size is enormous, 42cm wide, about 6 cm high.
Whats your idea aboit dating, 20 or even more recent?
I would also appreciate any comments on the meaning of the scene, perhaps rice harvesting?
Thanks in advance.

haukech

peterp

I have seen such plates recently on the Internet, but cannot tell from the pictures if it is genuine.
Painting style and colors could be right, but what is putting me off is the foot rim type. While it exists on Kangxi porcelain mainly, it is not that common and mostly limited to period items. If I remember right the genuine ones often have glaze between the double foot rim, and the color of the unglazed area in between looks a bit odd, too yellow, as if it was rubbed on. Painting style might be 19th century, but the orange peel glaze is also not usually found on such items, and here it is visible both on top and underside.
If you consider buying it I would not buy if it is  too low, or too high. The risk is considerable despite the seemingly authentic painting. If it was real Kangxi the price would at least be several thousand in the west, much higher in China. But again, it is difficult to tell without a hands-on inspection.