Stem Cup

Started by kardinalisimo, Sep 22, 2019, 09:30:51

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I know it's not Chenghua period but wonder if it's very recent or may have some age?
Thanks

peterp

This looks like a recently made item, I'm afraid. Also, it looks as if the stem was not attached using glaze. At least the most interior part of the stem looks like this in the pictures. If it indeed isn't, then it can not be Ming dynasty or Qing, but it is new.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for your comment Peter.
I don't see any problem with the stem attachment. It's just the inside of the foot is not fully glazed. But I'm curious about the pinkish color. I've never seen it before.

kardinalisimo

The cup came in a modern box so that looks like a red flag to me.

peterp

Hi, I do not think you understand what I meant.
The stem and cup are made separately and then stuck together. Before the Ming dynasty slip was used to attach the stem to the cup, but from the Ming dynasty onward glaze was used.
After the slip or glaze was applied, the stem would have been stuck to the cup. The excessive slip or glaze material would have popped out from the now tight fissure (material overflow). If you can see slip of about the same color as the unglazed clay but no glaze at the bottom of the hollow stem, then this is not a Ming item. To me the picture does not look as if there is any glaze there, but the picture is not clear enough for that area. The glaze at the side of the stem, its presence or absence, is of no concern in this relation. This is just a problem of the manufacturing method used in the era.
If there isn't any glaze it is not necessary to look any further, because it means the manufacturing method does not correspond to the Ming dynasty.