Qianlong mark 1735 to 1796 vase

Started by Stan, Jul 05, 2014, 09:58:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I purchased this on ebay awhile back, I was told that it was Qianlong mark and period, I had my doubts but after receiving it I realized that it was not period, it would have cost me more to send it back than was owed so I kept it, what I would like is your opinion of this vase, it is hand painted and so is the mark, under a 10X loop I can see where they start which is darker and then gets lighter, the blue is under the glaze, thank for your expertise.

peterp

Hi Stan,
To me the whiteness of the glaze and blue pigment are of the right hue to be period. So is the mark and foot rim. That is by these pictures...
The only I am not sure about the shape. It looks a bit shorter than what I usually see.
If you can find any proof that this exact shape did exist, then it could be M&P. In this case I recommend a hands-on inspection as usual.

As to the mark, the strokes are right with this. You can check if you have small depressions underneath the blue lines. Sometimes they are visible, not always. The character strokes were often prepared first by marking them with tiny holes in the glaze.

Stan

You are right, the vase is 19.05 cm high which is small, the mark and the decoration are all smooth to the touch, I can not see any indentations on the mark, it feels smooth like the rest of the vase, I do not have anything like this so I assumed that it was new but what amazed me is the quality of the vase, it is like perfect and I think this is what you call a worm back foot, I will see if I can find anything with this shape, thanks Peter.