basket weave satsuma vase

Started by Stan, Jul 07, 2014, 22:17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi everyone, yesterday I was in an antique shop, one that I frequent on a regular base, because there is a dealer that sells strictly asian antique ceramics, mostly Chinese. I am posting a little early because it is not good lighting for Photo's, so I am giving you a heads up and will post pictures later under good lighting, I  just purchased a satsuma vase, unmarked but very interesting indeed, I feel it is museum Quality, I have several nice satsuma vases but this one will be the oldest, it is 66.04 cm tall, and I am not sure if this would be called a Hu form of a Pair shaped vase with religious figures and animals and it has a basket like weave all through the bisque ground colored vase, the bottom foot and the top has a rope like design, I think the basket and rope is carved into the surface ground, I have never seen a vase like this, I can't wait to post pictures, I will keep you up to date as soon as I get good lighting, thanks for your anticipation.

Stan

Hi Peter, and everyone, it was a beautiful day here in Oregon Milwaukie, so I got some good photo's, 20 to be exact, any help would be appreciated on identifying this vase, thank.

Stan

Stan

More detailed Photo's. Please let me know what you think, thanks.

peterp

Hi Stan,
Nice vase. Probably Satsuma, as you already said.
I see some Boddhisattvas pictured, while the figure in Chinese type dress is something else. Not sure if he is Chinese or not. Dress was about the same in Japan and China during the Tang dynasty (Heian in Japan). Obviously not a monk or Buddhist saint. I wonder what the frame is, that he is holding.
Must have been expensive with the basket shape, at least it would be if it were Chinese.

Stan

Hi Peter, I appreciate your input so excuse my question but what is Boddhisattvas is that like a buddhist, I was thinking this vase is about 1850s around there maybe earlier but not sure, that is interesting that they are waring Chinese clothes, and I read something years ago about the empty frame but I can't remember exactly what it symbolizes.

Stan

B.T.W. it was not cheap, but considering what it is I think I got it at a low price, I have learned that there are somethings that are worth paying the extra money, through the years the pieces that I did not buy because at the time I thought it was over priced but now I wish I had bought them, there are certain things that you just can't go wrong with buying.