Impressed mark on a celadon export creamer

Started by Qst42know, Jul 04, 2014, 17:25:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Qst42know

I haven't read all past posts on the forum but haven't seen any impressed marks either. In what time period were impressed marks used? And what does it say?

peterp

That looks Japanese, as it the type of mark. In fact, the seal mark looks exactly like today's standard seals used in Japan, in general life.

Qst42know

"Kato Shunka"

Is this an accurate translation of the mark?

I found the same mark on other sites and was wondering if you agreed with the translation.

peterp

It says Shunka (only). So it is an artist's seal impression. The normal seal used in everyday life in Japan would be the family name (Kato).

Qst42know

Qst42know

You can see this item was made fast. The potter left the central spurr on the interior.

Qst42know

"high; steep" (shun) and "flower" (ka)

I looked up the definition for shunka. Could the stamp be referring to the thick paste like glaze decoration type?

peterp

"high; steep" (shun)

Where have you got this from?  Shun means spring (the season), so it would mean 'spring flower'.
However, Japanese names are normally not translated. Some personal names would have a nonsensical meaning in English. It would be just Shunka (other readings of the same characters possible). Same reading different characters, same characters different reading, it all depends on the person. That is one of the difficulties of the Japanese language.

Qst42know

Sorry. I should be discriminating in my internet research. The same site claims shunka is a girls name as well.

To dependent on context for a literal translation I suppose.

Thanks again PeterP