Unknown - Swatow?

Started by haukech, Jun 24, 2019, 01:49:19

Previous topic - Next topic

haukech

Dear All,
I was thinking this could be export for the Asian market but not sure as it seems that the greenish colour has been placed later.
Thanks for your help on this.

peterp

Hi, 'Swatow' has not been a correct porcelain type name for some twenty years. Please read this:  https://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/swatow-wares.html

This is red-green porcelain produced probably in the later Ming dynasty or transitional period, but the base and foot rim do not look like those of typical Zhangzhou (Swatow) wares. It is more likely from another kiln.  Red-green porcelain has been exported in large quantities to Japan and apparently to SE Asia.
The color looks quite natural for an item of that age that has been in actual use, as the repair of the rim split shows. Does not look to me as if it was painted later. Careful when buying red-green porcelain that has fresh colors, though. It may have been made or repainted in Japan in recent times.

haukech

Thank you very much for your explanations. Indeed, after checking I saw how the other bodies/glaze look like.
I have by coincidence taken one with angle, just to add.
Quite him rim in fact.