Chinese Hexagonal Twin Fish Handle Vase with Doucai style enamel over glaze

Started by elizabeth, May 21, 2019, 07:26:38

Previous topic - Next topic

elizabeth

Got his vase that looks fairly new.  But I am unable to find any vases with twin Fish handles.
I am using the tern Doucai because that is what I found on the internet to describe blue coloring under glaze with the raised enamel over glaze .  The foot rim in rough and un-glazed but it has an orange stain going on.  So looking at the foot rim I can pretty much tell it is not old.  I had a friend who speaks Mandarin look at the markings but what she told me does not make sense.  She said it reads : "The Almanac of Daming Wantu".  Which does not make any sense to me at all.  Unless this is a factory.    Anyway I would love it is someone can help me identify this vase and does it have any redeeming value at other then bring pretty and different.    I did not pay much for it either. 

peterp

Fish ears exist (ears is what they Chinese call them; these are not really handles, just decorations) but they would not be such a color. Any ears would likely be one of the colors you see in the decoration.

Also, basically that is a 'wucai' decoration not 'doucai'. Wucai decorations can be underglaze or on top, but they are flat, not raised like other enamels, for example. With doucai the blue contours are under the glaze, all other colors are filled in on top of the glaze. All details would have blue contours. 
The mark is a Ming dynasty Wanli reign mark, but the foot rim/bottom does not look right for the period, as you noticed. That is a more recent product, apparently.

elizabeth

Thanks,    I did not think it was an antique  but hoping or at least early 20th century.  It is probably not.  Just a pretty vase like for a gift .  Thank you for the info about the enamel decoration.  So many very subtle thing to look out for.