Chinese (?) Vessel with Large Handles

Started by TKNZ, Apr 10, 2019, 14:00:00

Previous topic - Next topic

TKNZ

Hi All,

I have a vase/jar/vessel which I'm having a hard time identifying. The general shape and feel of it to me points to it being Chinese, but I have so little experience in earthenware items that it could really be anything...
The glaze is quite interesting; where it is ochre it is completely matte and has no sheen at all, but in other places there are quite glossy green/brown sections. Towards the foot the glaze is overall much greener, and is largely matte although it becomes glossier the darker the green is. The inside has been glazed with a highly glossy dark grey/brown glaze, which was tipped out of the vessel before firing thereby leaving behind a glazed section on the rim and up the neck. There are also drips of this same glaze (seemingly unintentional) elsewhere on it. It has been potted using a brick-red earthenware and there are numerous areas where the glaze has been chipped and/or has flaked off.

I bought this in Japan from a seller who knew nothing about it's origins. A book I looked at in my university's library listed the triangular banding as Shang dynasty, although I could find nothing at all with similar handles or glazing. I hope someone might be able to tell me if this is a modern Japanese 'rustic' pot, or if it might be something a fair bit older. The rather sloppy decoration and hasty manufacture (such as pouring out the glaze and letting it drip on the pot) made me lean towards thinking it may be an older item for practical use as opposed to a newer one of a decorative nature.

Please let me know if you need any more pictures to help with identification :)

Thanks,
Thomas.

NB: Apologies for the terrible lighting - it's very hard to get anything better in my tiny dorm room. Also, if this doesn't belong here because it's earthenware and not porcelain, please let me know.

peterp

This shape could be from anywhere. I cannot detect anything that would be pointing specifically to Chinese origin. If there is a green glaze, currently such glazes are only known from the Han dynasty, much later, but they may not have such handles then.