Blue lotus bowl

Started by kardinalisimo, Jul 03, 2014, 00:00:38

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Is that Republic or later?
The mark looks like stamped to me and a bit off center.
Thanks

peterp

The bottom looks as if it were least mid-20th century, but the mark type could be from anytime in the 20th century. I would try to find it on the 'watersilkdragon' site. It is specialized on later Chinese marks.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter. Yeah, I know that web site. But i don't think the mark would matter.
When you say the bottom looks at least mid 20th century what exactly do you mean? Shape, color, glaze, thickness and deepness of foot rim etc.
I am still not very sure how the bottoms look like during the different periods.

kardinalisimo

peterp

Is the foot rim slanted inside, as it seems in these pictures? Then it has to be republic period at least. Thick enamels are also on the later side. Well, the mark is apocryphal, but even with apocryphal Qianlong marks there are different types. As far as I know this would be at least from the 40s to 60s, perhaps later. My personal opinion.
I recommended that site because it has many post Qing dynasty marks. Most antique porcelain sites do not have such resources.
BTW, bowls with this type of decoration are plenty, with many different colors. I have some that I am also not quite sure of their age, despite the Guangxu mark. I believe they are later. I have seen many that are only vintage.

Also, please note the blue enamel. Could be of a type used in the 20th century.

kardinalisimo

I don't know how to capture the bottoms so they appear correctly on the pictures. The foot rim is more like straight than slanted. But I also think it is later piece. I would think late republic but that mark indeed looks very recent. A bit sloppy job on the blue enamel. I think Guangxu pieces are much more carefully painted.

peterp

If that is someone you already own, just wait. Something similar will come around earlier or later, allowing you to compare.