Chinese ginger jar

Started by Ronny, Mar 22, 2019, 00:33:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronny

This jinger jar I have was bougt many years ago by a family member on a antique market.
But that wil not say it is really antique
Can someone tell me more about this, it has a mark on the bottom.

peterp

This looks like a 20th century item, judging by the shape of the jar and faces, etc.
The ????(meaning: house (or hall) full of happiness) mark is a common mark not relating to any era.

Ronny

This jar was bought in the 70`s.
Someone told me the mark was used in de Qing dynasty.
I do not know if that is true and old marks are still in use today.
Maybe you are right, 20th century and not old.
But it is a beautifull piece, he is 100% in good shape, no cracks, chips.
Thanks, more info Always welcome.

Stan

Hi Ronny, this ginger jar very well could have been made in the 70's and marks like these also have been used all in all periods that is happiness, good fortune, prosperity and etc.
The one think I would like to bring to your attention is the quality of your photo's , this jar is easily recognizable as modern, not vintage or antique, had this been vintage or antique these photo's would not be sufficient to judge age, you would need to take your pictures under natural sun light, not directly under the sun but next to a window that allows enough light to get good pictures, also a full bottom photo of the bottom showing the foot rim at a 45% angle to see the inside and out side shape of the foot, then you have the decoration, close ups of Faces,  and decoration and any age signs, these help us to judge the accuracy and proximity of age, thanks for posting.

Ronny

Bought in the 70`s on a antique market by a family member.
Maybe the antigue man had say it is antique, or he did not know for 100% also.
Antique or not, its a nice jar, I payed 100 euro`s, to much? it was the price and I liked it.
Better photo`s, my camera is not that good but let we say its 70`s made or a little earlyer.
On the internet I found today a bowl with the same mark, only different writing.
The info by the picture says Guanxu period so when correct this mark was also used in the Qing.

Stan

Hi Ronny, Im glad you like it, that is the important thing about collecting because that makes value irrelevant.