Small Guangxu Bowl With Spoon

Started by kardinalisimo, Jun 27, 2014, 11:05:40

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

peterp

I tend to think early republic, simply because I have seen too many, and because the mark is stamped, not handwritten.
Probably there were many similar ones made far into the 20th century. The decoration was and is really popular.

Stan

Peter, sometimes it feel like I'm going backward, the more I study the more I find out just how much I don't know.

kardinalisimo

Stan, what surprised you in being Early Republic?

Stan

The Bottom, I thought that early republic bottoms were traditional looking still at that time, inside foot straight up and down, correct me if I am wrong, the foot on this one is not so, it is curved, I thought that was done in the later dates, apparently I am wrong again.

kardinalisimo

You are right Stan. The picture does not show the bottom correctly. The foot is straight, both sides.

Stan

Thanks kardinalisimo, I guess I'm not loosing my mind.

kardinalisimo

Did not want to open a separate topic and don't know how to send personal message.
Peter, do you know if the books  ???????? have English editions? I have the scanned versions in PDF but all in Chinese. Seems like good read  for decorations like birds, flowers, animals, people etc but just looking at the pictures does not help much.

peterp

I know of no Chinese books translated into English. Normally, I read the Chinese version.

Many Chinese books about porcelain disappear after a number of years, as continually new ones appear. I mean, that is not a good motivation for a publisher or author to have them translated into English.

kardinalisimo

I see. I found that there are much more books in Chinese than in English so whoever knows Chinese is lucky