An Incised Yellow-Glazed Bowl - Guangxu Mark

Started by Charles, Jun 30, 2014, 18:38:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

Can someone please help me identify if this is a real Guangxu marked bowl of the period? Any assistance is much appreciated. Thank you!

peterp

I'm afraid that is not possible with pictures alone, in this case.
With this class of items, when no age signs at all are visible, a hands-on inspection would be appropriate. If genuine, this would have to be imperial ware, which is not easy to get and is expensive.

Charles

Unfortunately I cannot go see the item in person before the auction. However, the auction house was able to tell me that the bowl was consigned by a private vendor and they believe it was purchased about 20 years ago from the UK art market. The condition is good except for a 0.25 inch hairline from the rim and some minor crazing. They also emailed me high def versions of the photos I have already attached. I have asked them to either point out the hairline and crazing in the images they have sent or send me close up photos of the hairline and crazing.

Stan

Hi Charles, be carful at some of these auctions, like in my home town, the one here will say signed with a Guangxu mark dated 1873 to 1908 and will not say of the period and they may not have the expertise to tell the old from the new, you should ask questions like how do you know its from that period and see where they are getting there advise.

Charles

Thanks for the help Peter and Stan! They think this bowl is of the period, but I will be sure to delve deeper to find out how and why they think it is from that period. I will keep you updated and will try to post up a photo of the hairline fracture later today. Cheers.

Charles

Here are the photos of the hairline that I promised. It is quite faint when viewed from the inside of the bowl, but you can definitely make it out.

peterp

I do not think that a hairline would affect value much, if it is imperial.
But again, what Stan said about what auction (and other) listings say in view to mark and/or period (or what they do NOT say) has unwritten meanings. You need to read between the lines. When they are not sure they will use a wording that does not make them legally liable.

In my view everything seems to be right with this bowl for an imperial item, even the positioning of the mark, but there are no apparent age signs.
The fakers are good enough to produce something like this. But, they do high-quality fakes only with those items that are expected to bring in a good return, because they need to use materials and firing methods, etc., that were used in the Qing dynasty.
You have to decide yourself if you wish to take the risk, I'm afraid.  :-)

Charles

Thanks for the advice Peter and Stan. The lengths that people will go to when producing modern replicas of these antiques always amazes me. Also shows that no matter how many years of experience you have collecting, appraising, or dealing in antiques, there's always a chance that you will be duped by a replica. This has been a great learning experience for me. I will keep you updated on what else I can find out about this bowl.

peterp

Exactly. When authenticating Chinese porcelain you only can get better at it, but it is never 100%. In fact, even scientific methods like thermoluminescence testing and spectrometric analysis of ceramics can be defeated by fakers, if someone is intent on it.