Translation Needed

Started by Carol L., Feb 27, 2018, 09:53:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Carol L.

Hello.  Can anybody "out there" translate these Chinese words into English?

(That is, if they really are words with meaning vs. being a list of symbols used on objects for export?!)

Thank you very much.  I am learning a lot on this blog, but I already see that it is a lifelong study, and I'm getting a very late start at it!

peterp

Better provide more pictures of top and underside. It looks as if this could be an old high foot plate redecorated in more recent times.

Carol L.

Many thanks. Here are some closeups.

Carol L.

peterp

Hi Carol, the bats on the underside appear to be new and most of the black color has been repainted (over-painted). This probably includes the face of the figure. The plate is probably originally from the Tongzhi or Guangxu reign. The black writing contains a simplified character, which means this would have been repainted 1960 or later. The black lines of the face and writing are usually most abraded or faint on such high foot plates; often the face or part of the writing is almost completely invisible.

Carol L.

Thank you very much.  To use furniture words, then, it looks like it is an antique that's been "refinished."    :) 

Stan

Hi David C, sorry I accidentally removed you text, trying to remove a disturbed one.

konniela

Carol,

you are right, chinese porcelain is a longlife study (may be one life is not enough) but it is never to late to start something new. 

DavidC

Hello Stan.
I don't remember making any comment on this thread and I do remember all of mine. Was there something else perhaps that occurred and needed my attention? I'm a little confused. I make mistakes but don't normally shout attention unnecessarily. Best wishes I think

Stan

Hi David, someone posted vile language and I deleted it but then I noticed it was still their, so think I deleted the wrong post, sorry for the confusion.