Blue and white

Started by konniela, Nov 12, 2018, 04:37:36

Previous topic - Next topic

konniela

Hello everybody,

I am not sure, if this plate is from Japan, to me it looks more japanese than chinese. The mark was also not helpful to me, theese marks were used in both countrys. The plate seems to have some age but I am not able to place it in a time.

Right now, I have no photo from the footrim, olnly theese three here.

Thanks

konniela

Rec

Without the foot rim is a guess but to me  looks the decoration, colour and the mark 18.century chinese. Let's wait what Peter and Stan thinks

peterp

This decoration was popular in the early Qing dynasty, 17th / 18th century; this is valid for the mark too, as far as I know. The foot rim would still be needed for verification.

konniela

Chinese ! As you can see, I still have my trouble to distinguish between old China and Japan, especially blue and white. The plate will not speak to me !

I bought it yesterday in Basel/Switzerland (only offered as an old plate, may be from Asia), so we have to wait for more photos. 

The diameter size is 24,5 cm

I will come back as soon as possible.

Thanks

Stan

Hi Konniela, some easy ways to discern Japanese antique porcelain from Chinese antique porcelain is the Japanese porcelain will have stilt marks on the the bottom most of the time where as the Chinese rarely used stilts to fire their items in the kiln, Japanese often put 3 to 4 rings on the bottom of their items, usually 3 on the out side of the foot and one inside of the foot  and then their is shape, the Chinese rarely scalloped the edges of their plates or bowl where as the Japanese often scalloped their plates and then their is decoration, the Japanese national flower is the Chrysanthemum and is used often in their decorations where as the Chinese like to use peonies, the Japanese marked their items randomly on the bottom or sometimes on the side not caring whether centered or not, where as the Chinese were more consistent to mark their items on the bottom centered on the items most of the time, I'm sure Peter and others could give a lot more to tell the difference obviously experience is the best one, but these are just some simple ways to tell the difference easily.

konniela

Thanks for your detailed informations. I have to learn much more about the different decorations in both countries and times. I will try to do that.

In difference to me, you are able to know, that this plate is from china, without a photo of the whole bottom and the footrim. I hope, one day, I can do that also.

With the information early Qing I looked around and I could find two similar plates from Yongzheng.

I send more photos, when the plate is here. 

konniela

So now, it is here. There was no good light today here, but I hope the photos are good enough.

I do not know, what I should think about this footrim, may be transitional ? 

Honestly I can say, that I am realy not sure, if I bought it, if I had seen the footrim before.

I am very curious

peterp

The foot rim makes it appear to be later in the Qing dynasty. It is not typical at all for Jingdezhen, but resembles somewhat the rim of Dehua kiln. However, Dehua used mostly a different type of mark. There may be exceptions, though.