Finger print bowl

Started by Qst42know, Jun 21, 2014, 08:34:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Qst42know

I had to chuckle a bid when I saw this, two places the potter left their finger prints.

Can anyone make out the mark even though the bottom seemed to touch the kiln floor.

Qst42know

Does the shouldered dry rim interior indicate a lid was present at some time?

peterp

Full bottom picture, please, and one closeup each of the foot rim and the top rim.

Qst42know

Qst42know

Qst42know

I don't know if I captured the details you were looking for.

Qst42know

So what do you think? Guangxu peoples ware?

peterp

I have seen several of these wares. With yours, the bats and the pomegranate are fairly well done, but the small leaves look carelessly done.
What I cannot make sure with these pictures is if part of the outlines is printed or not. You would have to examine with a magnifier. The said leaves and the top rim decoration are likely candidates for printing (the outlines only), whereas the filling would be done by hand.
Basically, these decorations are Guangxu to early republic. The Tongzhi reign mark is apocryphal, in my view. The bottom could also be right for the period.
The pictures were taken in too bright a light, but is the top rim unglazed? In this case there would indeed have been a lid.

Qst42know

Hi Peter.

The top exterior is what remains of a gold band. The sholdered interior is dry.

The spacing on the top band is all wrong for printed, including an undersized adjuster at the 360 point.

The bottom rim is shaved at about a 45 degree angle.

At the leaf tip the brush strokes break and trail off at at some points.

Qst42know

And the ever present spacing troubles. 

Qst42know

Not destined for a palace. Is there a market for peasant ware?

Qst42know

Thank you PeterP.

Now that I have a better idea of what you are looking for perhaps I can get the job done with fewer photos.

Chris

peterp

Just have a look at the items on the first page of the "Gallery", entering from the Homepage. You will see how more carefully painted decorations of the same type look.

Qst42know

I have looked at the gallery photos and they are much more accurately made.

Looking at the bowl I have the full fingerprint is about half the size of mine. I have average size hands.

Perhaps this was made by a child laborer in training. But that's pure speculation.

peterp

Quality was often related to cost, as it is today... I have also seen some that look 'much'  worse than yours, hand painted, and some that were printed. So, yours is still on the better side.