Chinese vase

Started by Stan, Jun 28, 2014, 08:06:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I just purchased this vase and would like to know how old it is, the dealer thought late Qing to early republic, I would appreciate your expertise thanks. I will send more photo's.

Stan

Here is more photo's.

peterp

Agewise it seems to be right. Please upload a detail picture showing the text at the far left end clearly.

Stan

Here is the  the far left characters.

Stan

These are hard to make out.

peterp

Stan, the writing says it was painted by Yuzi Ming, a known Qianjiang style painter. The year given corresponds to 1906, which is both within the Qianjiang period and also the period of his activity.
The condition of the black seems also to fit that period. There are also fakes out there, as far as I understand, but this could be original. However, the green color, both of the leaves and on the clothing, and the color of the man's clothing seems a bit too strong for that style of Qianjiang painting. Usually, this type shows fairly faint outlines and colors, faint to a degree as to be almost invisible, sometimes.
It could be that the mentioned colors were re-painted or newly added at a later time. The green area of what seems to be reed or something between the boy and the ducks/geese also looks different from the painting style of the rest. Could also have been added later.

Stan